I've talked on this blog lately about relativists, in particular the cultural and moral relativists. I've been seeing this lately with the Ground Zero Mosque. A site like reddit is a epicenter of this relativism.

How can you tell? Well, if you bring up an argument against Islam you'll be met with a rebuttal about Christianity.

What you should take away from that is that people are not rebutting your point, but rather comparing and contrasting it in an attempt to marginalize your point. In order to have a real discussion with someone you need to be able to discuss facts objectively, the issue at hand and live in reality.

Often those people that really are often huge relativists will come up with rotten comparisons and just horrible examples as a means to make your point relative. In fact, in a discussion recently about the Ground Zero Mosque I was told that the Christian faith has killed several millions (just this year) and Islam has only killed 3000 (back in 2001). This is literally the crap you get.

Oh and I was also told that Hitler and Nazism is apparently a Christian event.

When it comes to talking to a relativist, the best thing you can do is just not talk to them. Frankly you'll save yourself a lot of time and a headache because you can expect the same sloppy comparisons with an attempt to marginalize every point you make. But if you must talk with a relativist you just have to make sure that you don't get off in side tangent arguments. So if you're wanting to discuss Islam, you'll probably end up on Christianity. If you want to talk about terrorism, you'll often end up on the United States.

There are a lot of reasons for why this always happens. I suppose it is this belief that all people should be equal, and if one person is successful, that is proof that they made someone unsuccessful.

For example, America is a free and prosperous country, so in their head that is proof that America makes the Middle East poor due to it's policies. I've even had people suggest to me that women are second class citizens in the Palestine because America supports Israel.

When you get right down to it, all you can do is sum it up completely as a rejection of reality. They just reject reality.

Objective Fact: A suicide bomber (Islamic) blows themselves up to kill infidels and with the belief that they'll be going to a better place (72 virgins in paradise).

Relativist: A suicide bomber blew themselves up because of American Imperialism, stealing Middle East oil, America's support of Israel (and a laundry list of other examples).

I actually use my brain and the last thing that pops into my head is blowing myself up when I don't like something. Shell drills for oil and not me, I should blow my self up, ending my life. American policy isn't what I like, I should blow myself up. America supports Israel, I want to blow myself up.

Wait, I don't think that way. I'm actually sane. I value my life, instead of thinking blowing myself up is the best step to the next (and better) life.

Objectivity is such a valuable concept. I hope you have it. If you're a relativist and want to talk about Islam. Talk about Islam. Christianity, isn't Islam. American foreign policy isn't Islam.

----

Posted by Christopher | 9:51 PM | | 3 comments »


3 comments

  1. JOHN // June 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM  

    excellent site. i have really enjoyed reading this info. objectivity is the key to the whole event.

    j peacock

  2. JOHN // June 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM  

    excellent comments. objectivity is the key to any argument

  3. Dr. Piranha // November 16, 2011 at 3:27 AM  

    Two articles in a row that I've read that I totally agree with. It's like you're taking ask the thoughts I have and posting them way better than I could summarize. I think I'm going to like it here!