I thought I'd do a post on the pros and cons of capitalism. I think it is pretty apparent that capitalism is the best social system in existence and the only one that follows good moral values, such as individual freedom.
The Pros of Capitalism
- You are free to make your own choices (right or wrong) in the market place.
- You own your life and the means to produce for your life.
- You can choose to run your own business or get a job with ease of government regulation.
- As a consumer, you get the highest quality of products for the cheapest prices.
- As a consumer, you get the highest variety of the types of goods and services you can purchase.
- You are free to innovate and invent without the government getting in your way.
- You don't have to pay taxes beyond that of the basics to protect your rights (police, courts, national defense, etc).
- You vote with your dollars. If you don't like a particular store, you can always shop somewhere else.
- You have the right to own property, which comes with the right to develop it as you choose.
- You have the right to earn as much money as you want without having to answer to the government.
- Capitalism has given the highest standards of living this earth has ever seen and no other system has ever been able to do this
- Capitalism recognizes your right to pursuit of life, liberty and property.
There really isn't any cons for capitalism. The only cons come from people that want to be able to tell people what to do or how to live their life. In capitalism, people are allowed to make their own choices, good or bad, and this seems to bother some that think they have the right to tell others how to live their life.
As a capitalist I feel unfortunate that people do sleep on the streets, but I can't feel bad for people that make the conscious choice to stick a needle full of heroine into their veins. Everyone is given the same level playing field and everyone can play.
This is what I think the pros and cons of capitalism are. It is the best social system ever devised and I (as well as you) owe capitalism for the great standard of living that we have.